Experience a day of family fun at The Dennison Railroad Depot Museum located in Dennison, Ohio.
Recognized as a National Historic Landmark, The Dennison Railroad Depot is the most significant remaining example in the nation of a railroad canteen still reflecting its WWII heritage.
During WWII, 1.3 Million service members were served free food by 4,000 working volunteers at the Dennison Depot Salvation Army Servicemen’s Canteen. These service men and women traveled by troop train along the National Defense Strategic Railway and stopped at the Depot as they were going off to fight in the war.
Our Homefront hospitality became so well known, that the nickname Dreamsville, USA was given to us by the soldiers themselves. Today, the beautifully restored 1873 Pennsylvania Railroad Depot, which served as the Panhandle Division Headquarters, offers plenty of family entertainment.
The Depot is fully restored and now houses a museum, restaurant, Panhandle Theater and Whistle Stop Railway Gift Shop. Visitors can explore the museum’s Railroad History and Sports exhibits, then watch the trains run in the large Model Train Layout depicting Dennison in its heyday. The theater features a film on Dennison’s role as a WWII Canteen that earned Dennsion the nickname Dreamsville, USA. A train of railroad cars is attached to the Depot which feature the Children’s Interactive Railroad Car Experience, a special yearly Feature Exhibit Car, a rare WWII Hospital Car housing our WWI and WWII collections, and a Local History Car. The museum is very interactive and hands-on. Children are invited to follow Bing’s Scavenger Hunt.
A fifth car in the Museum’s Addition is a Railroad Research Library, housing our archives. It is available for research upon appointment during open hours.
Follow up your visit with souvenir shopping or a meal in the Depot’s Over the Rail Diner. Picnic space is also available outside where you can see Bing’s House plus our collection of Rolling Stock including a 1940s Thermos Bottle Engine, Nickel Plate Caboose, the 2700 Cheseapeake & Ohio Locomotive and various other railroad cars.
This homefront hospitality continues today in our lobby, with a free cup of coffee and a cookie to all our visitors.
We look forward to seeing you in Dreamsville, USA!
Tickets On Sale NOW for Special Train Rides & Events!
is part of
The History Loop!
With one History Loop Triple Ticket,
enjoy admission to
THREE Tuscarawas County Museums:
The Dennison Railroad Depot Museum
Museum of Clay Industry and Folk Art
Historic Schoenbrunn Village
Also enjoy 30% off at all three museum gift shops!
Hear From Our Museum Visitors…
- Multiple awards for outstanding Achievement from the Ohio Local History Alliance, the Ohio Association of Historical Societies and Museums, the Ohio Museum Association
- 2018 Ohio Museum Association Professional of the Year – Wendy Zucal
- 2016 Ohio Museum Association Emerging Professional of the Year – Jacob Masters
- 2016 Eastern Ohio Economic Development Alliance Tourism Award – Dreamsville Association
- 2013 Recipient of the Ohio History Tax Check-off Funding Grant Cycle (1 of only 11 grants)
- 2012 Tuscarawas County Chamber of Commerce Citizen of the Year – Wendy Zucal
- 2011 Ohio Museum Association Institute of the Year
- 2010 Tuscarawas County Convention and Visitors Bureau Tourism Ambassador Award – Wendy Zucal
- 2010 Dominion- Cleveland Business Magazine Economic Development/Community Improvement Award
- 2007 Eastern Ohio Development Alliance Tourism Excellence Award
- 2005 Historic Preservation Heritage Award
- 2005 Twin City Chamber of Commerce Organization of the Year
- 2001 Ohio Rail Tourism Outstanding Service Award
- 2000 North Central Business Journal Community Development Award
- 1997 Economic Development Trailblazer Award
- 1996 East Ohio Gas – Cleveland Business Magazine Economic Development Award
- 1995 Tuscarawas County Chamber of Commerce Citizen of the Year – Dennison Depot
- 1994 Twin City Chamber of Commerce Distinguished Service Award
- 1991 Tuscarawas County Historical Society Zeisberger-Heckewelder Award for Outstanding Achievement in Field of History
A Video Tour of the Dennison Railroad Depot Museum
Our Canteen History and Saving a National Landmark
Engine 2700 Restoration Project
#2700.Posted by Dennison Railroad Depot Museum on Thursday, September 28, 2017
Visit Our Partner Sites
Join Our Email List
Follow Us on Social Media
This message is only visible to admins.
Problem displaying Facebook posts. Backup cache in use.
Click to show error
Solution: See here for how to solve this error