The Polar Express at The Dennison Depot
December 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 9th, 10th, 11th 2016
Put on your favorite pair of pajamas and hop aboard the Polar Express for a magical journey to the North Pole to pick up Santa Claus!
Join us for this family reenactment of the award-winning book, “The Polar Express”, written by Chris Van Allsburg. Your adventure begins on board our decorated train as Storytellers read the story aloud. As the train heads north toward the North Pole, festive elves will entertain you with songs, games and activities. Delicious hot chocolate and chocolate chip cookies specially made by Mrs. Claus just for you are served on board.
When the train arrives at the North Pole you will see Santa and his workshop out your train window. (Passengers do not get off the train.) The train stops long enough to pick up Santa, who will visit with children on the way back and gift them all with a special jingle bell taken from the reindeer’s harness. If you can hear the bell ring…you truly believe!
Tickets are $41.00 a piece for Balcony seating, $48.00 a piece for coach seating and $70.00 a piece for First Class seating. Private compartments (seats up to five) are $395.00.
New This Year
We are offering the opportunity to rent an entire private First Class Car for your group. This opportunity will be available until August 30th only. The coach can seat up to 28 people, and the cost is $3,000. There is only one private First Class Car per trip, so don’t delay in calling! These tickets also go on sale to Members only May 1st.
First Class seating includes a separate First Class Waiting Room so you do not have to wait outside in the cold. The conductor will personally come and lead you from your waiting room in the Museum’s Panhandle Theater to the train as you will be first to board the train. During your wait to board, children will be able to watch Christmas movies. Each first class child 1-12 will receive an engineer’s hat, wooden train whistle and another special treat on board the train.
Coach passengers will also be welcomed by the Conductor and board the train from outside. Please be prepared for the weather, warm clothes if cold; umbrellas if raining.
Before or after the trip, enjoy the holiday decorations in our 1873 Depot, now a National Historic Landmark for its important role during WWII. Take the kids for a tour the Museum and enjoy the Bing Scavenger Hunt that will take you through the new wing at our museum composed of a train attached to the Depot! Enjoy dinner in one of our local restaurants or Frosty’s cafe across the street in the Masonic Temple. Don’t leave without picking up your Polar Express souvenirs in the Museum’s Whistle Stop Railway Gift Shop or from local vendors in the Masonic Temple.
Departure Times for the ride are:
Fridays at 6:00 and 8:00 p.m.
Saturdays and Sundays at 2:00, 4:00, 6:00 and 8:00 p.m.
Keep in mind that boarding will begin one half hour prior to departure and finish boarding 5 minutes prior to departure time. Folks arriving exactly at departure time will miss the train! If you need to pick up tickets at will call, it is crucial to arrive 45 minutes early!
Tickets go on Sale May 1st for Museum Members and July 1st for the public. CLICK HERE FOR MEMBERSHIP INFO
All tickets are sold by phone. To make reservations, call The Dennison Railroad Depot Museum at 740-922-6776 and purchase with a MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express. Or we welcome you to stop in to the Depot’s front office Tue through Sun. Call early! Tickets are first come first serve; and they go fast. The Depot is open for ticket sales Tuesday through Sunday.
Things to note:
Any parties that wish to sit together must purchase all tickets with a single payment on a single order form.
* It is strongly suggested that all parties arrive at least 45 minuets before the departure time and boarding WILL end 5 minuets before the departure time.
* Tickets must be purchased for children 1 year and older. For safety purposes and in regards to space in seats, please do not try to pass off a child over one as a child under one.
* Once your order has been placed, you will not be able to add or subtract people from your party, nor change the date or time of the order.
* Tickets will be mailed out beginning in November. Orders placed one week prior to the train rides will be available at the Depot’s Ticket Window for pick-up.
* We encourage you to purchase a Polar Express book with your order. They come pre-autographed by the Polar Conductor and add to the experience when you pick them up at the Ticket Window. They must be picked up in advance of the ride as they will not be delivered on the train. Please be sure to give yourself time to pick them up.
* All Railroad Cars are different! For example, some First Class cars have tables, some do not. Some First Class cars have couches, some do not. We randomly fill seats on a first-come, first-serve basis and do not make any promises or guarantees as to what seating you will receive.
* In most cases, groups will be sat in seats facing each other. However, for groups of 5, there will be 4 seats facing each other, and the 5th seat will be across the aisle. For groups of 9, you will receive 2 sets of 4 seats facing each other side by side, and the 9th person in the row in front of you or behind you. As we approach the train ride dates, instances of passengers facing each other will decrease as we begin to use the only remaining seats available, so there is a chance you will NOT be facing each other.
* To bring a baby carrier on board, an additional ticket must be purchased or you will have to hold the carrier on your lap. We do not recommend this, as it will interfere with activities on board.
* Strollers can be left for safe keeping by the Depot.
* Absolutely NO open toed shoes or slippers allowed on the trains (for safety reasons).
* All elves on board and at the North Pole are local children who donate their time and costumes. They are not professional actors.
* All Storytellers on board are also volunteers.
* If you have walking difficulty, a passenger in a wheelchair or other special needs, please notify us when placing your order.
“Note: The Polar Express® passenger train cars are vintage cars, are not ADA compliant and have limited wheelchair accessibility for wheelchairs and persons with walking difficulty, both in terms of number of wheelchair bound persons that can be lifted onto a Polar Express® passenger train car and the number of wheelchairs that can be accommodated within these vintage railroad cars. Prior to booking any tickets, kindly call 740-922-6776 in order to confirm whether we can accommodate the needs of such person.”